How to write SOP?
If you’re planning to study abroad, one of the most important documents will be the Statement of Purpose (SOP). Every year there is a pool of applicants to study abroad. To stand out from the crowd, you should ensure that your SOP is unique. A unique SOP is key to getting a seat at your dream university.
You may now wonder how to write SOP?
In this article, we have added tips and tricks to make your SOP unique.
How to write SOP?
Maintaining the SOP format can be a little tricky, so we have created a step-by-step process to write an SOP.
Analyze your purpose of Study
When you’re writing an SOP, the first and foremost thing is figuring out your study purpose. There are a few questions that can help to analyze your goal:
- Which stream would you choose?
- Why this degree?
- What do you expect from this course?
- How will this degree help you personally & professionally?
- What do you want to do post completion of this course?
Once you get the answers to most of these questions, you can create your first SOP draft.
Now that you’re clear on what to add to the SOP, the next step is to articulate a rough outline of the document. Follow the tips below while articulating:
- Your SOP is the best way to impress the admission committee. So, be honest to describe your career aspirations and objectives.
- Describe your experience with employment details if you have. If you do not have any professional experience, mention the papers you published, your accomplishments, presentation, project work, etc.
- Use a conversational tone while writing. Be authentic with all the details mentioned. Try to elaborate on your unique traits.
- Do your homework on the universities that you’re applying for the course. Mention the reason why you like that university and your urge to pursue your course there.
- Describe your personal and professional interests. Mention your passion and try to connect it with your chosen program. Also, mention how the program will enhance your skills.
- Include the reason to choose your preferred stream. You can mention the features that convinced you to choose it. Then write your aim behind selecting this program. Be unique and precise while saying these points.
Modify & Revise
Once you have articulated the SOP as per the tips, proofread it. Then, revise it and make changes accordingly. Review the list of items to include in the SOP. Verify with the draft to ensure that you have added all of them. The SOP lies between 500-1000 words. Ensure that you mention proper sizes for spacing, margins, and font size. Try to get someone to read the SOP.
In the end, we hope you are clear on how to write SOP. Always remember the SOP is a great way to impress the admission committee. Your content should convince them of your background and interest in the stream. A unique SOP will pave the way to get a seat at your desired university.
For more guidelines on how to write SOP, feel free to contact PrabVisa Consultancy.